From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] viewing consoles remotely
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 11:42:30
1 On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 18:24 -0700, Ryan Tandy wrote:
2 > Iain Buchanan wrote:
3 > > 1. sudo chmod u+s /usr/bin/screen
4 > > 2. sudo chmod 755 /var/run/screen
5 > > 3. screen -r sessionowner/[[pid.]tty[.host]]
6 >
7 > I think the little part of me that's even slightly security-conscious
8 > just had a heart attack.
9
10 Yeah, this means anyone with login access can view any screen on the
11 host. However, I intend to get around this in a number of ways:
12
13 1. There are no real-life users on this machine - it just performs tasks
14 (not a good enough security by itself, I know).
15 2. Screens will be created with `screen -d -m blah` so when the blah
16 process dies, the screen will terminate, meaning someone watching won't
17 be left with root access.
18 3. Machines are remote, requiring dial up password, then ssh password,
19 without general world wide access.
20 4. Any more suggestions this list offers :)
21
22 > It's interesting that screen -r has the desired effect, though; I could
23 > have sworn screen -x was the only method that did the simultaneous-use
24 > thing.
25
26 Hmm, that's what the man page says about -x, but it says similar about
27 -r - note it only worked when I specified sessionowner/
28
29 thanks,
33 Women complain about sex more than men. Their gripes fall into two
34 categories: (1) Not enough and (2) Too much.
35 -- Ann Landers
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list