From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Howto speed up compilations
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:36:06
1 On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 01:07:38PM -0400, John J. Foster wrote:
2 > Good afternoon all,
3 >
4 > A few weeks ago I read in one of the newgroups a way to greatly decrease
5 > compilation times. The author noted that this was particularly noticable
6 > when working with something like OO. The general jist of it was to
7 > create temporary file system in memory and mount your portage tmpdir
8 > there. For the life of me, I can't find that thread anymore. Does anyone
9 > do something similar to this? Are there noticable gains to be had. I
10 > have an Athlon 2800XP and 1 GB ram.
11 >
12 > Thanks,
13 > John
14
15 OK, this happens all the time. I search, can't find what I want, post a
16 question, search again, and there it is. This is not the "thread" I was
17 talking about, but it was right in front of me on the Gentoo Wiki.
18 http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Speeding_up_portage_with_tmpfs
19
20 Does anyone have any "tips" on these "tips"?
21
22 John
23 >
24 > --
25 > Contrary to the lie machine, the world is not safer.
30 Contrary to the lie machine, the world is not safer.