From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] merging or fitting images together
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 06:47:11
1 120520 Stroller wrote:
2 > Zoom lenses were much less common even 2 or 3 decades ago.
3 > For a long time, a 50mm prime was the common kit lens,
4 > rather than the 18-105mm zoom which is sold today.
5 > This was because on a camera using 35mm film, a 50mm focal length
6 > gives a field of view very close to that seen naturally by the human eye.
7 > Wikipedia states that "the first modern film zoom lens was designed c 1950
8 > by Roger Cuvillier" and Canon's official website (the "Canon Camera Museum")
9 > states that "The history of Canon's zoom lens goes back to 1954."
10 > Since the photos are stated go have been taken in 1953
11 > it seems highly unlikely that the photographer was using
12 > a highly expensive and cutting-edge zoom lens. I doubt many people
13 > would have been able to afford these zoom lenses when first released.
14 > It seems to me safer to assume that the lens is a 50mm.
15
16 In fact, looking more closely at the picture of a ZI
17 which I've put up in my I/net 'test' dir (found on the I/net earlier),
18 it says 'F = 7,5 cm', so the lens appears to have been a 75 mm .
19
20 > I guess focal length may change fractionally during focussing
21 > -- as lenses are moved back and forth during as the focus ring is turned --
22 > however it may also be that a camera manufacturer designs a lens
23 > with a 48mm focal length because that's easier to construct for some reason
24 > or produces better images and decides to sell it as 50mm
25 > because a 2mm difference makes no difference to the photographer.
26 > Or it may be that the distortion is caused by lens distortion
27 > perhaps Hugin is trying to compensate for that, and straightening up lines.
28 > In any case, I might try re-doing the stitch a few times,
29 > each time telling Hugin the lens is 47mm, 48mm, 49mm, … 51mm, … 53mm.
30 > Perhaps you may find that one of those is perfectly spot on.
31
32 Thanks for the further lesson ! -- it sb tried at 75 mm .
36 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
37 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
38 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca