From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] ASUS M2A-VM HDMI woes
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:49:08
1 Well, I've done it this time :-<
2
3 It seemed time to upgrade from my AthlonXP so I bought a new motherboard
4 (ASUS M2A-VM HDMI), cpu (AMD 64 X2 5000), and memory (2GB DDR2 800).
5 With all the new hardware, my hopes were high!!
6
7 Then I removed the old mobo/cpu/ram from this workstation and installed
8 the new and things weren't as rosy as I'd hoped :-<
9
10 Problem 1 - ethernet controller. The Realtek 8168 didn't seem to have
11 a linux driver compatible with my 2.6.22 kernel. Not a big deal as I
12 could use my old ethernet card and solve the problem later.
13
14 Problem 2 - video. The ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 seems to have only
15 minimal support (VGA - 640x480x8) using the latest drivers in
16 portage, i.e. ati-drivers-8.40.4. I figured I could get at least
17 1024x768 using generic ATI support (with better resolution in the
18 future when up-to-date drivers are available).
19
20 Problem 3 - really low hard drive performance. I presume it's just
21 tweaking that can be done after (if?) the video problem can be
22 corrected.
23
24 Questions:
25
26 Anybody have experience with this board? Anybody have it working
27 well? What drivers are you using?
28
29 Thanks.
30