From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} GPG: pub & sec keys required to decrypt?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 17:45:55
1 Grant wrote:
2
3 > Can I configure this so that I don't have the two keys on the same
4 > system? I'd like encrypt with my remote system and decrypt with my
5 > local system. Is that possible? It seems like importing my private
6 > key also imports the public key.
7
8 I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to do. If you are
9 encrypting mail to other people, you should be using *their* public key,
10 not your own. The only case where you need your public key is to
11 encrypt mail to *yourself*; otherwise you don't need either of your keys
12 on the remote system.
13
14 As far as keeping your public key away from your secret key, I believe
15 it is possible to export just one or the other via gpg then import just
16 that key. But a quick glance through the GnuPG FAQ points out this
17 nugget of information:
18
19 "All OpenPGP secret keys have a copy of the public key inside them, and
20 in a worst-case scenario, you can create yourself a new public key using
21 the secret key.
22
23 A tool to convert a secret key into a public one has been included (it's
24 actually a new option for gpgsplit) and is available with GnuPG versions
25 1.2.1 or later (or can be found in CVS)."
26
27 So there's really no point in keeping the two separate.
28
29 --Mike