From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice/best practices for a new Gentoo installation
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 06:31:47
1 Am Freitag 26 Februar 2010 schrieb Paul Hartman:
2
3 > Hi, I'm building a new personal computer. I respect the opinion and
4 > experience of the people on this list and am interested in anyone's
5 > advice on the best way to set up my new Gentoo installation. Things
6 > that you say "I wish I set mine up this way the first time..." or have
7 > learned from experience how to do it right the first time already. :)
8 >
9 > Some topics I'm thinking about (comments welcome):
10 > - be aware of cylinder boundaries when partitioning (thanks to the
11 > recent thread)
12
13 Indeed. ;-)
14 I just applied that knowledge again yesterday on a friend’s new laptop.
15
16 > - better partitioning scheme than my current root, boot, home (need
17 > portage on its own, maybe /var as well?)
18
19 I use the root/boot/home scheme as well (500GB laptop drive). Though I used
20 ReiserFS in an image file on / file system for a while, but dropped it later.
21 Using an image file saves from fiddling with partitions and FS resizing in the
22 process.
23
24 > - some kind of small linux emergency/recovery partition? equivalent to
25 > a liveCD maybe.
26
27 I always wanted to make my own Gentoo-based livecd that fits onto my old 128M
28 stick. :o)
29
30 > - SSD vs 10000rpm vs big-and-cheap hard drive for rootfs/system files.
31 > I lean toward the latter since RAM caches it anyway.
32
33 I’m still caucios about SSDs because of their limited lifetime. I would only
34 use it for /home or my media archive. But for the latter, it would become
35 over-expensive fast, for they are more pricey by the GB than all other things.
36 If it shall be a quiet system, I’d look into 2,5" drives, they also use less
37 power than 3,5", on the other hand they are of course more expensive. :)
38
39 > - omit/reduce number of reserved-for-root blocks on partitions where
40 > it's not necessary.
41
42 I’ve set it to 0 on my home partition. I also reduced the inode count on my
43 media, home and X-Plane partition. None of those have more than 60000 in use
44 at the moment, whereas mkfs had given them about 3 to 4 million by default.
45 I’m not sure though if that gives me any more available space.
46 --
47 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
48 This sentence no verb.