From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: HP officejet pro 8600 printer (all-in-one)
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 00:21:46
1 On 09/02/2013 08:17 PM, Thomas Mueller wrote:
2 > Given my ill luck with HP LaserJet M1212nf MFP, I don't want to buy
3 > anything more from HP, unless I get this printer working, and then
4 > I'd need toner.
5 >
6 > My ill luck was with FreeBSD and NetBSD, and hplip makes assumptions
7 > on Linux file structure that are different in the BSDs.
8 >
9 > I do intend to try with Linux, and also try the MS-Windows drivers on
10 > FreeBSD with wine.
11
12 I've found that the postscript-printer-definition (ppd) files included
13 in net-print/gutenprint work much better for me than the ones included
14 in net-print/hplip, which is published by HP.
15
16 I've also heard other people grumble about the quality of HP printer
17 drivers not being as good as HP printers, but that's just hearsay :)