From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Good news for the HAL haters
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:59:34
1 On 04/13/2010 01:34 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > Saw this message from an emerge today:
3 >
4 > * Messages for package x11-base/xorg-server-1.8.0:
5 >
6 > * Usage of hal is strongly discouraged. Please migrate to udev.
7 > * From next major release on the hal support will be fully disabled.
8 > * Both hal and udev flags are enabled.
9 > * Enabling only udev!
10
11 Well, truthfully, I don't have anything useful to add. I just wanted
12 to reply before Dale does :p
13
14 I updated my ~amd64 machine this morning while simultaneously switching
15 to the nouveau nVidia driver and had no problems -- quite a shock for me.
16
17 I disabled the hal useflag only for xorg-server just to be cautious, and
18 the only error message I see in my Xorg log is a complaint that no input
19 driver could be detected for the mouse -- and then udev proceeded to find
20 and use the mouse perfectly. Dunno what that error message is about.
21
22 I see in a different thread that Volker says xorg-server-1.8 is not ready
23 for Prime Time where drivers are concerned. I may try downgrading back
24 to 1.7.nn tomorrow if I have some spare time.