From: Aisha Tammy <gentoo.user@×××××.cc>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] BugDay - October 3rd - Everyone is welcome to join!
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 23:01:21
1 # Gentoo BugDay
2
3 Come join us over at #gentoo-bugday on freenode IRC on the first Saturday of every month
4 to squash bugs and make Gentoo a bit more awesome.
5
6 You don't need to be a Gentoo developer or even a coder to help us on BugDay.
7
8 Our next BugDay is on 3rd Oct 2020 and we have started making preparations for
9 selecting and prioritizing bug categories for that day.
12 ## Bug categories
13
14 Our categories for this bugday include
15
16 - Adding and improving documentation on the wiki The wiki is a *very* important documentation platform for Gentoo.
17 We exchange our knowledge there and the wiki needs a lot of care in many areas.
18
19 This is a very nice topic as a lot of people can help us do improvements based
20 on their daily usage of software.
21 Someone who uses awesome or i3-gaps or xmonad surely has some tidbits that
22 they will be able to contribute to their wiki pages.
23 People familiar with virtualization can help us improve our libvirtd, virt-manager
24 and a host of other pages.
25 There are no topics off limit for this and we really would like more people to join in.
26
27 - Patches for packages failing with -fno-common
28
29 Given the addition of GCC-10 and LLVM/Clang-10 to our repositories, there has been a whole set of softwares which have been bugging out while compiling. This is not a coincidence and we would love to know from our users which softwares have managed to fix the bugs upstream but we still haven't patched them. For developers who have found workarounds and simple fixes, we would love to get your answers and incorporate them.
32  ## For developers
33
34 Even if you have never coded for Gentoo you can help us with your knowledge.
35 It's always valuable to have your experience to guide us.
36
37 Things to help with
38 - Find a related bug that piques your interest.
39 - Look at upstream if this has been reported to them.
40 - If not, make a bug report to the upstream developers.
41 - If they have already seen it, check if they have managed to patch it.
42 - If not, try to gather as much information as you can about the bug so that
43    it may help the developer tackling it.
44 - Alert us at #gentoo-bugday and interact with us to see if this can be squashed.
47 ## For users
48 Users are one of the most important part of Gentoo and this is the occasion for them to
49 talk the developers and make your bugs looked at.
50
51 Take a look at the categories for BugDay at the poll link and the final BugDay wiki page
52 - Find a related bug that you have experienced and has not been fixed yet
53 - Try to see how it can be reproduced.
54 - The related bug reports have been ignored for months you say?
55    Come poke us about these bugs at #gentoo-bugday on the freenode IRC
56    and we will begin squashing any of those that are pending.
59 ## Whats in it for me?
60
61 Bragging rights, permanently being listed on the charts of BugDay, sense of entitlement.
62
63 Any person who helps us solve valid problems will be given the honor of being listed on the page.
64
65 Even users who help related bugs and find links which make our problem solving easier will be put on a pedestal.
68 ## Contributors
69
70 Thanks a lot to jstein@ for being the gracious organizer and making sure everything goes smoothly.
71
72 And special thanks to contributors who have worked on our previous BugDays.
73
74 Past contributors and bug days:
75 - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bugday_2020-06-06
76 - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bugday_2020-07-04