From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6726@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Program for posting to a Newsgroup
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 02:56:16
1 from Ian Zimmerman:
2
3 > I cannot find a standalone program or script to post a prepared message
4 > (already in RFC 822 format) to a NNTP server. I had a working python
5 > script to do this (which is trivial except for SSL and authentication,
6 > because python has NNTP support in its standard library). But for
7 > various reasons I'm trying to minimize my python dependencies.
8
9 > (I'd have asked this in comp.unix.networking, but there is an egg &
10 > chicken problem :P )
11
12 I suppose you could have used the python script to ask this question in comp.unix.networking, intending to switch after you get a good answer.
13
14 I actually did what you seek to do from DR-DOS 7.03, even worked from OS/2 Warp 4, with UKA_PPP but that was long ago. Now I can't even find UKA_PPP on the internet, only nonworking links.
15
16 I think what you want to do is comparable to what I do in mail with msmtp (to send) and mpop (to download by POP3).
17
18 I don't have Gentoo portage in front of me but have NetBSD pkgsrc (pkgsrc.org) and FreeBSD ports (https://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html), each of which has a news category.
19
20 This is a listing of FreeBSD ports news category:
21
22 Makefile
23 atp
24 aub
25 brag
26 c-nocem
27 cg
28 cleanfeed
29 cnews
30 crashmail
31 diablo
32 fidogate
33 golded+
34 gup
35 hellanzb
36 husky
37 husky-areafix
38 husky-fidoconf
39 husky-hpt
40 husky-htick
41 husky-huskylib
42 husky-smapi
43 ifmail
44 inn
45 knews
46 leafnode
47 lusernet
48 mail2nntp
49 mmail
50 multisuck
51 newscache
52 newsfetch
53 newsfish
54 newsgrab
55 newspost
56 newsstar
57 newsx
58 nget
59 nn
60 nnap
61 nntp
62 nntpbtr
63 nntpcache
64 noffle
65 nzbget
66 nzbperl
67 p5-NNTPClient
68 p5-News-Article
69 p5-News-Article-NoCeM
70 p5-News-Newsrc
71 p5-POE-Component-Client-NNTP
72 p5-POE-Component-Server-NNTP
73 pan
74 papercut
75 pgpmoose
76 plor
77 py-pynzb
78 py-twistedNews
79 py-yenc
80 rawdog
81 s-news
82 sabnzbdplus
83 slnr
84 slrn
85 slrnconf
86 slrnface
87 sn
88 suck
89 suck-cnews
90 tin
91 trn
92 trn4
93 ubh
94 xpn
95 xrn
96 yencode
97 yydecode
98
99 Check what's available in Gentoo portage. You might also check mutt.
100
101 Tom