From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:50:05
1 On Tuesday 17 July 2007, burlingk@×××××××××.mil wrote about 'RE:
2 [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??':
3 > > -----Original Message-----
4 > > From: lunarcrisis@×××××.com [mailto:lunarcrisis@×××××.com] On
5 > > Behalf Of Henk Boom
6 > > On 16/07/07, Volker Armin Hemmann
7 > > <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
8 > > > because gplv3 removes freedom?
9 > >
10 > > As far as I remember from when I read it, it does not take
11 > > any freedoms which the previous versions did not intend to.
12 >
13 > The four freedoms:
14 > Freedom 0: The freedom to run a program for any purpose.
15 > Freedom 1: To study the way a program works, and adapt it to your needs.
16 > Freedom 2: To redistribute copies so that you can help your neighbors.
17 > Freedom 3: Improve the program, and release your improvements to
18 > the public, so that the whole community benefits.
19 > For freedom 1 and 3 to work, the code must be open.
20 >
21 > Freedom 1 is just as important as the other three. Freedom one is
22 > almost eliminated in GPLv3.
23
24 Absolutely not. Freedom 1 is stronger than EVER. The distributor of GPLv3
25 licensed works is now prevented from using technological, and patent-law
26 means to limit users' freedoms, including freedom 1. Under the GPLv2,
27 technological means (DRM) wasn't covered at all, and patent provisions
28 where not nearly as explicit.
29
30 Remember that the GPL has always been about all the users NOT just the
31 developers/distributors -- "adapt it to your needs" is not allowed when it
32 restricts other users' freedoms.
33
34 Think about RMS' printer incident, where the driver/firmware was crap but
35 locked down so he couldn't fix it. Free software should not be able to be
36 locked down in that way (among other things); in this day and age, that
37 means preventing Free Software from undergoing "Tivoization".
38
39 > Stallman used to be so set
40 > on THAT mindset (software vs. hardware), that he was in favor of
41 > those groups that didn't want to make the source code of every ROM
42 > chip they made open to the world,
43
44 Sure. Stallman, last I heard, is still in the camp that code on read-only
45 memory is part of the hardware, and does not necessarily need to be Free
46 Software -- it might as well be an IC rather than code. HOWEVER, he
47 believes code that *can* upgraded -- such as BIOSes that support flashing,
48 or firmware that is loaded into chip memory by the OS, any bits that
49 execute and CAN be changed -- should be Free Software, especially if it is
50 derived from (in the copyright sense) Free Software.
51
52 That's what is especially irksome about "Tivoization", the distributor of
53 the software (Tivo) has more rights than the users' of the software (us).
54 For a license (GPLv2) whose goal is to protect all users' freedoms, and
55 values users' freedom over developers/distributors to be turned
56 upside-down by technological means is unacceptable -- prompting the
57 development of GPLv3 to correct the situation.
58
59 > GPLV3 says, if you want to use code in a public way, you have
60 > to crack open your box so that people can play with it however
61 > they want, and then that potentially compromised box still has
62 > to be able to connect to your network if it connected in it's
63 > unmodified form. That very much deals with the hardware.
64
65 The GPLv3 says if you covey software to a user under the licence, that user
66 must be able to upgrade the software and use it in the same way they used
67 the software you gave them. That's actually what the GPLv2 says as well,
68 although it doesn't specifically ban technological measures that
69 accomplish that goal.
70
71 If you want to allow your code to be locked up by someone else, use BSD.
72 If you want to lock your code up yourself, use a proprietary license.
73 If you want all users of your software to have the four freedoms, use
74 GPLv3.
75
76 > Under the spirit of the GPL, one could take code and use what
77 > they could. They still had to have the technical capabilities
78 > to use that code, and understand the platform it was on.
79
80 Not quite true. Under the spirit of the GPL, anyone could take code they
81 were provided under the license and use what anyone could, they didn't
82 have to understand the code to benefit from improvements others made.
83 Gentoo (and other distributions) regularly patch code that I don't
84 understand and I end up getting an improved version of KDE/GNOME/X and the
85 entities behind those projects don't (and shouldn't be able to) prevent
86 Gentoo from providing that service.
87
88 > Under the new version, if you don't understand the code, then
89 > something must be wrong with the code.
90
91 Not true.
92
93 > If the code is full of
94 > machine dependant features that cannot compile on another type
95 > of machine, then something must be wrong with the code.
96
97 Not true. Even if something *was* wrong with the code, code quality is not
98 enforced by the GPl (any version).
99
100 > Free Software is about Freedom. GPLv3 is about religion. You
101 > are free as long as you do things our way.
102
103 GPLv2 also places a load of restrictions on distributors to ensure that all
104 users get all four freedoms. GPLv3 places more, necessary restrictions
105 since GPLv2 has allowed distributors to effectively remove users'
106 freedoms. The GPLv3 is all about freedom -- but freedom is only realized
107 by restricting the ability to limit freedom. ("Your freedom to swing your
108 fist ends an inch from my face.")
109
110 > That is why I shy away from the GPL licenses. I like the
111 > LGPLv2, but GPLv3 is kind of scary. I want code that I make
112 > free to be free. :P I don't want to say, "It is free if you
113 > are a broke penniless college kid that plans to stay that way."
114
115 Sounds like you want the GPL then -- since it explicitly allows commercial
116 use as long as the four freedoms are preserved to all users.
117
118 > LGPLv2 allows wide use of code, without heavy demands.
119
120 LGPL does do one thing that can be nice, and it prevents the viral nature
121 of copyright law from affecting your code -- that is it allows others the
122 freedom to license their original work under whatever license they choose
123 (as you did), combine it with your work, and distribute the whole as long
124 as they follow your license for your stuff.
125
126 It's a very good license, and I think that it is normally the better
127 license to choose *unless* your goal is to have all software be Free
128 Software.
129
130 > If I by some miracle produce a chunk of code that propels another
131 > entity to the top of their industry, then I have achieved something
132 > Whether I get anything in return from them or not. If they
133 > are able to take what I have produced and make it useful, then
134 > more power too them. If they give back to the community in the
135 > form of code, cash, or even morale support, then that is them
136 > playing the game by our rules.
137
138 Not if you follow the GPLv2 or the spirit of the GPL. That *requires* the
139 code to remain in the community. The GPLv3 strengthens this requirement.
140 If you want other to be able to lock away your code (or derivative works
141 of your code) you should use the BSD license.
144 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
145 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
146 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
147 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/