From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] xorg wiki and graphics drivers
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 00:11:29
1 Setup:
2 gentoo (no-X) installed into vbox vm on win 10 (64bit) host.
3
4 I've gotten a solid base going but now want to setup LXDE. Gentoo LXDE
5 wiki starts after you've already setup the X server so I went to Gentoo
6 Xorg wiki
7
8 Following the gentoo Xorg setup pages. I'm having some confusion
9 regarding which graphics driver is needed.
10
11 The pages at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide say to turn off
12 any drivers you have selected in your kernel conifg at
13 `Device Drvrs
14 -> Graphics support
15 -> Frame buffer devices':
16
17 Here it says to deselect any drivers in there.
18
19 Move on down to `Console display driver support' and select
20 `Frame buffer console support'
21
22 So far easy enough, but I guess I'd still need a driver for whatever
23 graphics adaptier vbox has on offer. In my case it is (from lspci):
24
25 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatun GmbH virtualBox
26 Graphics adaptor
27
28 Back at the wiki:
29
30 The the discussion goes on to a few common graphics adapters and tells
31 you what to do about them. So I'm kind of lost as to what to do about
32 the vbox setup.
33
34 The wiki tells you to use KMS as its an improvement over other
35 approaches.
36
37 I like to boot with a hi-res framebuffer and do some of my chores in
38 console mode where I like that framebuffer. I'm wondering if with KMS
39 one still can have that large or hi-res framebuffer when in console
40 mode. I'm pretty sure the things I had selected in the Framebuffer
41 Kernel area were what makes the hi-res frame buffer possible (When not
42 using KMS).
43
44 So, following the Xorg pages I've deselected what settings I had there.
45
46 Haven't rebooted as yet.
47
48 Anyway, cutting to the chase:
49 So I'm hoping someone here is familiar with the requirements of a vbox vm
50 graphics adaptier and can recommend a driver, but I'd also like to hear
51 about how a frame buffer works in KMS.