From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 18:43:53
1 On Nov 26, 2011 2:57 PM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 20:53:17 +0700
4 > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
5 >
6 > > I want to build a Gentoo server box whose structure is
7 > > highly-partitioned, like this:
8 >
9 > partition setups are like lovers - highly variable. And the one that
10 > suits you will suit almost no-one else.
13 Careful, you've just raised some unholy memories there ;-)
14
15 > Many of the recommendations you find on-line come from an earlier time
16 > and the reason they got going is no longer valid for the most part. So
17 > do take care to evaluate the real reason why you are doing something.
18 >
19 > Valid reasons included:
20 >
21 > You want to unmount a dir structure (/boot).
22 > The fs type for a partition is different from that fs it mounts to
23 > (often /var/log but these days most often used with tmpfs).
24 > You need to mount an fs with different mount options to the fs it
25 > mounts onto (/home noexec on multi-user setups for example)
26 >
27 > The way to do this is not to search Google for recommendations, as
28 > there is no such valid thing, but to figure out for yourself why you
29 > want a mountpoint, calculate how much space *you* need, then do it.
30
31 Indeed, that's what I originally asked: the numbers.
32
33 > Read other's experiences who use similar software as you by all means,
34 > but that will be mere hints.
35 >
36 > My own thoughts:
37 >
38 > - I can't find a good reason anymore to have a local /usr separate. It's
39 > always mounted on my systems, even in maintenance mode (there's
40 > always at least one decent tool that the distro decided to put
41 > in /usr/sbin)
44 Mounting it ro not a good idea?
45
46 > - /tmp is only useful on it's own if it's a tmpfs. Mine hasn't ever
47 > filled up anywhere (despite best efforts of users). tmpfs is general
48 > is an awesome idea.
51 Noted.
52
53 > - Keeping data and code separate is always a good idea. But only a few
54 > things in /var are critical like /var/log and /var/<database>.
55 > Everything else is usually tiny and can safely live on /
58 Except /var/tmp, which can grow to epic proportions :-)
59
60 > - /boot is traditionally separate partly because long long long ago
61 > BIOSs couldn't read past 1024 cylinders which borked lilo. This is no
62 > longer true.
65 I'm a bit scared that a buggy program or script borked the kernels I put
66 there...
67
68 Thus also the reason to mount /usr ro.
69
70 And if I can make /bin /sbin /etc all ro, I want to make them ro, too...
71
72 Am I being too paranoid?
73
74 Rgds,