From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]UPS battery dead?
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:40:31
1 On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:31 AM, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Unplug all your electronic devices and plug in a lamp with
5 >> a 100 Watt
6 >> incandescent light build. With the lamp on unplug the UPS
7 >> from the
8 >> wall and see what happens. If the battery is dead it won't
9 >> last all
10 >> that long.
11 >
12 > Gave ~5 mins. So I let it charge for 24 hrs now it gives me 36 mins. Which is wierd; what happened to all that charge? I haven't had to use it for 6-7 mons. Isn't the unit supposed to stay topped-up?
13
14 Well, assuming it was a 100 Watt incandescent that really draws 100
15 Watts, then that's probably 1/2 to 1/3 the draw of a typical desktop
16 PC implying you would get 12-18 minutes before shutdown. (Really rough
17 ideas - just numbers, etc. Don't take it too seriously.)
18
19 These batteries have a limited lifetime and they need to be charged up
20 if they haven't been used in a while.
21
22 From the APC Forums an APC representative posted the following. Note #3:
23
24 [QUOTE]
25
26 Most APC batteries should last three to five years. Below are some
27 guidelines to ensure optimum life expectancy:
28
29 ***Some APC Back UPS models may have a shorter battery life
30 expectancy. Please reference the user's manual of your APC Back UPS to
31 determine the exact battery life expectancy.
32
33 1. Make sure that you keep your APC UPS in a cool, dry location with
34 plenty of ventilation. Ideally, the temperature where your UPS is kept
35 should not exceed 75° F (24° C). Also, for ventilation purposes, leave
36 roughly one to two inches on each side for proper airflow.
37
38 2. Only perform runtime calibrations on your UPS one or two times a
39 year, if necessary. Some of our customers want to check their systems
40 to verify that their runtime is sufficient. However, consistently
41 performing these calibrations can significantly decrease the life
42 expectancy of your APC battery.
43
44 3. Do not store APC batteries for extended periods of time. New
45 batteries can be stored for 6 to 12 months. After this period, the
46 battery should be used or it will lose a great deal of its charge. It
47 is not advisable to store batteries that have already been in use.
48
49 4. Do not exceed 80 percent of a UPS unit’s rated capacity due to the
50 reduction in run time. When you increase your load, your runtime
51 lessens. In the event of a power failure, a UPS loaded to full
52 capacity will drain and discharge it’s battery quickly and will lessen
53 the life expectancy.
54
55 [/QUOTE]
58 > Another thing: When I do the remove-the-usb-cable test I don't see the "communication lost" error in apcupsd.events until I switch the dial-up off and on quickly!
59 >
60 > In the conf file I have DEVICE: /dev/ttyS[0-3] because the default, /dev/ttyS0, locks out the modem. But why does the UPS need to know about serial ports? It connects by this funny RJ-45/USB cable. I wonder does the manufacturer assume the serial port won't be used?
61
62 Strange stuff but above my pay grade...
63
64 - Mark