From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Video card, splitter and issues.
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 21:09:30
1 On 2019.06.19 15:43, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I have a video issue here.  I recently cut off DirecTV service and now
5 > watch from my puter, all those hard drives people know me for.  As
6 > some
7 > know, my Mom died recently so I want to make use of the living room TV
8 > as well.  I bought a splitter that takes one input and outputs to 4.
9 > The outputs all have the same pic, it just splits the signal.  When I
10 > got the first one, it didn't work.  I tried every which way but
11 > nothing.  Lights came on etc but no signal.  I contacted the seller
12 > and
13 > he thought the box was bad so he sent a replacement.  Well, it was no
14 > better.  No worky.
15 >
16 > I then decided to test it a different way.  Even tho I don't have
17 > DirecTV service, it should give some sort of screen so I used the
18 > DirecTV box instead of my puter.  Finding the power plug was fun I
19 > might
20 > add.  When I used it, it worked fine.  It even worked with the VERY
21 > long
22 > cable I bought to use for the living room TV.  So, the splitter does
23 > in
24 > fact work but not with my puter's video card.
25 >
26 > This brings me to three paths.  Is there something I need to change
27 > in a
28 > config for this to work or is there some special requirement for the
29 > puter's video card or is a special splitter needed?  Which is at
30 > fault,
31 > the splitter not being compatible or the video card not being
32 > compatible, either by config or just hardware?
33 >
34 > If no answer to that, I searched but can't find a triple or quad HDMI
35 > output card that isn't like buying gold.  Is there such a thing at a
36 > reasonable cost?  I'm fine with used and it doesn't have to be the
37 > greatest, I watch TV and play Kpatience.  I suspect the TV is the
38 > largest load it sees and even that isn't much.  This is the video card
39 > made by MSI:
40 >
41 > VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GTX 650]
42 >
43 > Any thoughts on this?  Different video card or different splitter or
44 > better yet, a change in a config file?
45 Dale,
46
47 You don't say what are the outputs of that card? Searching shows me
48 several possibilities, but all have more than one output connector. If
49 that's the case, I would suggest using different outputs for your
50 monitor and the TV. You might need an adaptor depending on whether the
51 TV has a matching input. I think you would have to set up your DE to
52 know about the two outputs, but then I think most video players can do
53 things like put the controls on your monitor and the output on the TV.
54 (I just set that up with a laptop with KDE and VLC. It wasn't trivial
55 to get it right, but it was immediately obvious it could be done or at
56 least come close enough to put up with.)
57
58 To your original question, I don't have any solid idea why the TV isn't
59 receiving a signal from the splitter. I assume you are sure the TV is
60 set to the correct input connector. Have you tried switching which
61 splitter outputs go to each device, and try only one device connected
62 at a time? Have you tried connecting your video card ONLY to the TV
63 instead of the monitor. That would tell you if there is any inherent
64 incompatability between what the card is putting out and what the TV
65 can use. Can the TV handle the resolution the card is displaying?
66
67 Jack