From: "Norman Rieß" <norman@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to prevent a dns amplification attack
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 18:27:02
1 Am 28.03.2013 16:38, schrieb Michael Mol:
2 > On 03/28/2013 04:51 AM, Norman Rieß wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> i am using pdns recursor to provide a dns server which should be usable
6 >> for everybody.The problem is, that the server seems to be used in dns
7 >> amplification attacks.
8 >> I googled around on how to prevent this but did not really find
9 >> something usefull.
10 >>
11 >> Does anyone got an idea about this?
12 >
13 > I'm not sure it can be done. You can't make a resolver available to
14 > "everybody" without somebody in that "everybody" group abusing it, and
15 > that's exacly what happens in a DNS amplification attack.
16 >
17 > Restrict your resolver to be accessible only to your network or, at
18 > most, those of the specific group of people you're seeking to help.
19 >
20 > You *might* try restricting the resolver to only respond to TCP requests
21 > rather than UDP requests, but if the resolver sends response data along
22 > with that first SYN+ACK, then nothing is solved, and you've opened
23 > yourself up to a SYN flood-based DoS attack. (OTOH, if your resolver
24 > went offline as a result of a SYN flood, at least it wouldn't be part of
25 > an amplification attack any longer...)
28 Thank you Michael!