From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Multiple whatis hits
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:11:43
1 I was wondering about those multiple hits I get every time I use
2 whatis(1) or apropos(1) these days. Everything is listed three times,
3 which is kind of annoying. It's not too hard to find the culprit if you
4 look at whatis: /etc/man.conf lists /usr/man and /usr/X11R6/man as
5 separate entries for MANPATH but these are both links to /usr/shar/man
6 where the actual whatis-db lives. Now that's easy to fix, but I was
7 wondering
8 a) why it is like that in the default config (I don't think man.conf is
9 built dynamically depending on whether e.g. you install X11?) and
10 b) whether the best way to fix it would be to simply change man.conf or
11 convert /usr/man and /usr/X11R6/man to real directories and ask portage
12 for all manpages that are supposed to be installed there and move them
13 from /usr/share/man manually?
14
15 cheers!
16 Matthias
17 --
18 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
19 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665