From: Drew <drew.kay@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox Keeps Hanging on some pages
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 03:51:24
1 On 9/10/06, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com> wrote:
2 > Upgraded to Firefox-1.5.0.6
3 > access http://zedomax.com
4 >
5 > and it hangs for whatever reasons.
6 >
7 > My GCC is
8 > $gcc -v
9 > Thread model: posix
10 > gcc version 3.4.6 (Gentoo 3.4.6-r1, ssp-3.4.5-1.0, pie-8.7.9)
11 >
12 > My GCC settings is sane
13 >
14 > /etc/make.conf
15 > CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
16 > CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium3 -pipe -falign-functions=64 -mmmx -msse
17 > -msse2"
18 > CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
19 >
20 > I've tried installin the bin version "mozilla-firefox-bin" and it works
21 > OK on the page above.
22 >
23 > Note : It hangs (up to the point where the little 'circle" also stops
24 > moving.
27 > --
28 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
29
30 Two questions related to your compiler flags. Is there a specific
31 reason -falign-functions=64 is used? -O2 implies -falign-functions so
32 unless you have a specific need for a 64 byte alignment, it's
33 redundant. Secondly, AFAIK the Pentium 3 doesn't have the sse2
34 instruction set, only P4's do. I don't know firefox's code too well
35 but it's possible these random sites are triggering a branch of code
36 that calls sse2 code and firefox is gracefully choking.
37
38 And related to these sites that firefox chokes on, are there any
39 common elements they all share? Perhaps a plugin or something thats
40 called?
41
42 Also, could you post your emerge --info?
45 -Drew
46 --
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list