From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to use my SSD the right way ;-)
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 22:18:26
1 On 03/01/2014 00:14, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 >
3 > I am running both my desktop and laptop on SSDs for years now.
4 >
5 > I think I got the basic things right:
6 >
7 > proper alignment of partitions, scheduler, TRIM (fstrim) ... you know.
8 >
9 > Today I received my new and shiny Samsung 840 EVO and migrated my
10 > desktop to it (writing this very email running Gentoo on it).
11 >
12 > I use ext4 for / and /home ... with "noatime", yes.
13 >
14 > I wonder if I should test another filesystem for /home or even / ...
15 > maybe XFS? The system is snappy and works fine, I just wonder if another
16 > fs would perform better with SSDs ?
17 >
18 > Any opinions?
19 >
20 > Greets, Stefan
26 Before you test other fs's, do you use BFQ? What IO scheduler do you use?
30 Alan McKinnon
31 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com