From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.2.1 : goodbye & good riddance
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:36:23
1 I unmerged all the kde-base/...-4.2.1 pkgs preparatory to remerging them
2 with USE="kdeprefix" & it hit me: why am I wasting time on this rubbish ?
3
4 KDE 4.2.1 is not -- as someone bluntly pointed out -- a successor to 3.5 :
5 it's a whole new concept, not yet clear even in the minds of its developers.
6 So I'm faced with something I don't want & it's also full of bugs:
7 I don't want desktops to slide to/fro when I change them, it's nauseating;
8 Konsole profiles don't work, Dolphin won't start as I want,
9 add the wrong item to a panel & Plasma freezes with 1 CPU at 100 % .
10
11 I cb content with Fluxbox, if KDE 3.5 disappears one day,
12 but I do like the KDE 3.5 environment & many of its applications:
13 they're reliable, highly-configurable, attractive & tasteful.
14 There is an urgent need for a fork of KDE to improve 3.5 -> 3.6 ,
15 while leaving the silly candy-babies to ape Microsoft & Mac.
16
17 I've removed the rest of what I installed to support KDE 4 (except Qt 4 )
18 & may install Xfce 4.6 next weekend to see how far it's come
19 since I last used it in autumn 2004 (a poor 4.2 then).
20 As I've said, I'm impressed with Thunar,
21 which is way ahead of Dolphin & cb installed without most of Xfce 4 .
22
23 There was an article in the Linux press last week about a plain user,
24 who had had enough of Microsoft & tried out a Linux distro:
25 what she loved most was the simple practical Fluxbox desktop ...
29 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
30 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
31 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca