From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updated gentoo systems and fresh installs
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:32:27
1 On 3/13/06, Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > Is there a difference between the two? I have 2005.1 installed. As
5 > I've always understood it, my system will now always be up-to-date, as
6 > long as I keep updating it. Is 2006.0 any different than 2005.1 after
7 > the system has been installed?
8
9 No, you're given options while you update with "emerge -uD world", you
10 can compile GCC 3.4.5 but not use it till you "gcc-config" it. You
11 download and unpack the latest kernel, but you CHOOSE to compile it
12 and change versions. If you always choose to upgrade this slotted
13 packages, you'll always have the latest Gentoo as a whole.
14
15 The Gentoom 2006.0 comes with some of this packages already upgraded
16 to the latest versions, that's the only difference, a install of
17 2005.1 would have a lot of compiling and upgrading and maybe some
18 configuration to change between versions, other than that, you'll
19 always end up with the latest Gentoo on both machines (if you choose
20 to).
23 > I'm just curious, because I have to install gentoo on a notebook, but
24 > I want package compatibility with my server.
25 >
26 > Thanks.
27 >
28 > --