From: Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT virtual stuff] gentoo vm appliance
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 16:35:35
1 On 06/23/11 07:15, Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thursday, June 23 at 00:35 (-0400), Matthew Finkel said:
4 >
5 >> Oh, don't get me wrong, that's one reason I use qcow2 myself, but it's
6 >> either something he would have to deal with when he received it or the
7 >> conversion would increase the size of the disk image that would be
8 >> shipped to him.
9 > Yes, of course a raw image file will typically be bigger than a
10 > compressed qcow, just as an unpacked stage4..tar.bz2 file is going to be
11 > bigger than the original archive. But in terms transferability,
12 > compressed qcows are more efficient since they only include *used*
13 > blocks and they are compressed. I can convert the image into any of a
14 > number of formats, but the issue then is it will be bigger, and thus
15 > take me longer to upload it and the OP to download it
16 Yup, exactly :-)