From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question of quantum computer
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 10:58:46
1 On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 11:30 PM, <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> with the movement of particles. It is a phenomenon that results from
5 >> the quantum entanglement of e.g. two electrons and has to do with the
6 >> nonlocality of such phenomenons. When you measure the quantum
7 >> attributes of one of these two electrons you instantaneous influence
8 >> the quantum attributes of the other one, regardless of its distance.
9 >
10 > Correction: I meant photons and not electrons. Sorry for this.
13 Since others have done a decent job explaining some of the basics
14 here, I'll just point out that quantum affects apply to all matter and
15 energy, not just photons. It just doesn't tend to be noticeable for
16 anything of significant size except in very unusual situations.
17
18 Electrons are fundamental particles (as best we know) and are very
19 much subject to quantum effects. In particular the wavelike
20 characteristics of photons are responsible for behavior like the UV
21 absorbance of your suntan lotion, or the fact that just about anything
22 that conducts electricity well tends to look metallic/shiny even if it
23 doesn't contain something you'd consider metal. I remember the first
24 time somebody showed me a conductive polymer and marveling that it
25 looked like a little strip of metal-coated plastic that you might find
26 connecting two circuit boards (this was back in the 90s - conductive
27 polyers are a bit more mainstream now).
28
29 In truth, the wavelike characteristics of electrons are important for
30 virtually all aspects of their behavior since they are so small, but
31 I'm just pointing out some manifestations that are more visible to the
32 naked eye.
33
34 I agree with the earlier comment that I doubt you'd ever try to run a
35 general-purpose operating system on a quantum computer. If they ever
36 became truly mainstream the most likely configuration would be as a
37 separate module that would be utilized for certain problems, much like
38 a DSP or a GPU or an FPGA often gets used today. They are
39 non-deterministic in nature (or are at least thought to be and might
40 as well be for practical purposes - I'm not convinced that anybody has
41 proven that quantum behavior is truly non-deterministic). Most
42 quantum algorithms would be paired with conventional computers. If a
43 quantum chip tells you that there is a 95% cumulative chance that
44 somebody's private key is one of these 50 candidates, that is probably
45 more than adequate since you can brute force 50 keys in a millisecond
46 and find the right one. They're going to tend to be used for needle
47 in a haystack problems where once you get rid of 99.999999999999% of
48 the haystack the problem is no longer difficult.
51 Rich