From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerge Problems...
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 21:23:18
1 BRM wrote:
2 > And you're doing a typically manual process for updating all the systems -
3 > update your server first, then any rsync clients. Fine& dandy if that is your
4 > process - but it's not mine. I may update my laptop twice as often as the other
5 > two, especially if I want to play with some software or try something out, or
6 > fix a bug, or get a later version of KDE. The server gets updated may be once a
7 > month, while the laptop is either once a month or at whim when I want something
8 > that just came out.
9 >
10 > It's not harder to do it this way, just a different method. The original rsync
11 > script worked perfectly fine; the broken update I did when I lost it is what
12 > started this whole thread.
13 >
14 > As the old saying goes - Different Strokes for Different Folks.
15 >
16 > Ben
20 Again, maybe I am missing something but it doesn't really matter how
21 often you update. Some people sync their main server and test packages,
22 upgrade some stuff figure out a few workarounds then later on sync the
23 other machines against the main server. The portage tree may be days
24 old on the main server by that time but at least you know what you are
25 up against if you are updating a LOT of systems.
26
27 As you say tho, different strokes.
28
29 Dale