From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want a low-end usb laser printer with minimal config hassle
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 22:47:16
1 On Friday, 7 December 2018 18:46:54 GMT Manuel McLure wrote:
2
3 > I'd highly recommend getting a networked printer that supports Port 9100
4 > instead of a USB one - this allows you to use the same printer for all of
5 > your systems.
6
7 Nonsense. You just don't need a network interface if you don't have one. This
8 is Linux, not WinBloze.
9
10 I have an old Kyocera FS-1020D postscript printer which has just a USB
11 interface. I connect it to one machine and make it available from there to
12 others on the network. No problem. CUPS can do that.
13
14 (OT: A well known subscriber here very generously gave me a USB-network
15 interface box so that I could take the network route, but I'm afraid I haven't
16 got round to installing it yet because of another complication that's cropped
17 up, requiring a more-or-less complete rewiring of the whole bunch of systems.
18 My joints aren't as flexible as they used to be.)
21 Regards,
22 Peter.