From: Stefan Schmiedl <s@×××.de>
To: Dale <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-user] About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 06:21:16
1 Dale,
2
3 Saturday, April 14, 2012, 5:46:44 AM, you wrote:
4
5 D> Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
6 >> I'd expect to see root (hd1,0) in there somewhere.
7
8 D> I tried changing the root line and it still booted sda. Also, note that
9 D> I also tried a grub entry that doesn't even have a root line. It just
10 D> points directly to sdb.
11
12 D>From what I have always been told, the root line points to grub not the
13 D> root partition of the OS. Those are two different things. Correct me
14 D> if I am wrong here. That's the way I have always been told.
15
16 That is correct, "root (hdx,y)" points to partition y on drive x, where
17 the kernel is to be found, i.e. the root path for the "kernel" line.
18 The kernel uses its root=/dev/whatever to set up the root for the linux
19 environment.
20
21 D> I'm using grub legacy here.
22
23 me too. And the last time I tried, changing the root line made grub boot
24 from the other disk. Have you tried editing this line in grub's editor
25 during boot?
26
27 s.