From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 2.6 upgrade howto
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:25:33
1 quoth the Maarten:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > I'm new to the list (and gentoo) but not to linux.
5 >
6 > I just started with gentoo, had to use the 2004.2 image since 2004.3
7 > crashed at installtime on my machine (thinkpad 600X)...
8 > I used stage 2. Since then I succesfully installed a lot of apps like KDE
9 > and such, but my kernel is still a selfmade 2.4 one. Now I need to get my
10 > wireless cards working but I'd rather upgrade the kernel first for fear of
11 > doing things twice (or wrong) due to the changed pcmcia drivers.
12 >
13 > I think I correctly upgraded 2004.2 to 2004.3 but how do I check that to
14 > make sure? The machine did not do anything spectacular when I made that
15 > change, is that expected behaviour ? Now for the fullfillment of the
16 > transition to 2004.3 I need a kernel 2.6, right ? Can someone point me to
17 > the docs that detail that step cause I could not find that very well.
18 > Or do I just somehow get the sources and start compiling ?
19 > How do I make sure I retain my current kernel as a second boot option if
20 > the 2.6 kernel will not boot ?
21 >
22 > Thanks in advance,
23
24 It is misleading to refer to gentoo 'versions'. 2004.2 and 2003.3 are just
25 releases of the install cd. After installing, and running "emerge -u system"
26 your system will be up to date with the most recent stable versions,
27 regardless of which install cd you choose.
28
29 PS you can run any kernel you want...2.4 or 2.6
30
31 -d
34 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
35 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
36 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972