From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Desperately need advice on fixing a corrupt XFS partition
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 17:31:55
1 On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've got an external USB hard drive adapter that apparently have been
5 > going bad, or maybe the drive is going bad, I don't know... It has
6 > died a few times in the last week. During that time I've been burning
7 > DVDs and trying to copy all of the data off of it, but it choked with
8 > about 130gb remaining and now, after hooking up a new adapter, XFS
9 > won't mount it. :( It's full of pictures and home movies and stuff.
10 > Sadly, this drive was part of my backup strategy. The files were all
11 > consolidated on this disk, where I was sorting and organizing them
12 > into nice DVD-sized chunks. I guess I wasn't fast enough.
13
14 As an update, the Windows tool was totally useless and called it an
15 unsupported partition type despite the website's claim to support XFS.
16 I think it just scans the raw data and looks for signatures of
17 JPG/AVI/MP3/etc on the disk, regardless of filesystem. The files it
18 "recovered" had no filenames and would not have been fun to sort
19 through.
20
21 Now the good news, after making a backup of the drive, which
22 miraculously completed without errors, I ran xfs_repair on it and it
23 was able to locate the secondary superblock after about 30 minutes of
24 scanning the disk. The log was corrupt, of course, so I had to zero it
25 out, then mount followed by a clean unmount, then mount read only :)
26 after that I have 99% of my files in tact. The most recently-written
27 files before the last crash were lost, but everything else was there
28 and is being copied off as we speak. :)
29
30 As for the failure, I think the mechanics of the drive itself are
31 going bad. There were no bad sectors, but using 3 different power
32 sources the drive still has problems starting up about 2/3rd of the
33 time. It's like a car that won't start. You can hear it trying to spin
34 up, dying, trying again, dying, etc. What I don't know is if the cheap
35 USB adapter could have passed some "dirty" electricity through to the
36 drive and fried it somehow.
37
38 Thanks to all who replied!
39