From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Binary package server questions
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 07:38:37
1 On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 12:22:51AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote
2
3 > If the chroot is identical to your netbooks's install in terms of
4 > *FLAGS, USE, @world etc, then yes. I used to do it this way when I had an
5 > Atom netbook. I even build for a low memory 486 system in the same way.
6
7 Unfortunately, the cpus are different enough that CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS,
8 and CPU_FLAGS_X86 are different. See the web page...
9 https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.9.4/gcc/i386-and-x86-64-Options.html#i386-and-x86-64-Options
10
11 I actually use "-march=native" in make.conf, but this translates as...
12
13 * The netbook cpu equals "-march=bonnell" (first-generation Atom).
14
15 * My current desktop equals "-march=ivybridge"
16
17 * My "hot backup" machine equals "-march=silvermont"
18
19 The natively-compiled code on the netbook will not run on my desktop
20 because the Ivybridge cpu doesn't support MOVBE instructions. The
21 netbook has 2 gigs of ram. I estimate 12 hours if I
22
23 * changed CFLAGS to "-march=core2" and adjusted CPU_FLAGS_X86
24
25 * and ran "emerge -e @world" on the netbook.
26
27 That would produce "lowest common denominator" code that would run on
28 both the netbook and my desktop. Then I could rsync the contents of the
29 netbook into what would become a chroot directory on the desktop. After
30 that, I'd have to change to "-march=native", adjust CPU_FLAGS_X86, and
31 then "emerge -e @world" on both the netbook and the desktop's chroot.
32
33 A better option would be to
34
35 * rsync the contents of the netbook to the Silvermont. It's a newer
36 Atom-family cpu, and can handle MOVBE instructions.
37
38 * change CFLAGS to "-march=silvermont -mno-movbe" and "emerge -e @world"
39 on the Silvermont. It has a newer, more powerful cpu than netbook,
40 and also 8 gigs of ram, versus the netbook's 2 gigs. A full rebuild
41 won't take anywhere near as long.
42
43 * rsync the contents of the Silvermont's chroot directory to the
44 Ivybridge desktop.
45
46 > Oh, and you don't need a package server, just export PKGDIR via NFS
47 > and mount it on the netbook.
48
49 I see nfs as being more complex with kernel settings required for
50 client and server, not to mention config files all over the place.
51 Gentoo has python as part of the system. To fire up a very simple
52 binary package webserver from a commandline (xterm/whatever)...
53
54 In python 2.x
55 cd /usr/portage/packages
56 python -m SimpleHTTPServer nnnn
57
58 In python 3.x
59 cd /usr/portage/packages
60 python3 -m http.server nnnn
61
62 ...where "nnnn" is the desired port number to listen on. In both cases
63 the default port is 8000 if not specified. Note that only root can open
64 privileged ports in the range 0..1023.
67 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
68 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications