From: Randy Westlund <rwestlun@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ntpd crashes, system set to UTC
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 15:54:08
1 Hey guys,
2
3 I'm having some trouble with ntpd and my system clock. Every once and a while, my system time is wrong. In the past (not having time to look into it), I've just run ntp-client to correct it.
4
5 Turns out that ntpd is crashing and `date` reports the UTC time, but thinks it's Eastern. This time I didn't correct the time and tried rebooting a few times. ntpd crashes within 5 minutes of boot, leading me to suspect the the time being off is what's causing ntpd to crash.
6
7 Info about my system: I dual boot with windows, so my /etc/conf.d/hwclock looks like this:
8
9 > clock="local"
10 > clock_systohc="YES"
11 > clock_hctosys="YES"
12 > clock_args=""
13
14 I also have CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS and CONFIG_RTC_SYSTORC set in my kernel.
15
16 ntpd is in my default runlevel, ntp-client is not.
17
18 My /etc/ntp.conf looks like this:
19
20 > server 0.gentoo.pool.ntp.org
21 > server 1.gentoo.pool.ntp.org
22 > server 2.gentoo.pool.ntp.org
23 > server 3.gentoo.pool.ntp.org
24 > driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
25 > restrict default nomodify nopeer noquery
26 > restrict 127.0.0.1
27
28 What am I doing wrong? Where should I look for more information on the problem?
29
30 Randy