From: Fernando Rodriguez <cyklonite@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ATI Radeon X1300 Framebuffer not working
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 01:27:24
1 Hello,
2
3 I got a used PCIe Radeon X1300 (RV516) off ebay for the s-video output
4 to use with an old tv that only has component, composite, and s-video
5 inputs and I need a working framebuffer. When I power on the PC the
6 manufacturer's logo comes on (with black borders on the sides), then
7 GRUB2 comes on just fine but I can only get a working VGA text console.
8 If I load the radeon drm driver I get a framebuffer console but with
9 horizontal green lines at 1024x768 res (s-video's max). If I lower the
10 resolution the lines get redder until at 640x480 the whole screen turns
11 magenta. I suspect the card is bad but I wanted to get your opinions first.
12
13 I tried booting from several live CDs and they all have the same
14 problem. I also tried a WinPE CD and that one seems to work fine but I
15 suspect is because it uses the boot resolution and never sets it, just
16 like the vga console.
17
18 I tried to load the vesafb, uvesafb, radeonfb, and the simple
19 framebuffer driver but none of them work, I get a black screen or the
20 text vga console if I enable it. And the kernel log shows nothing about
21 related to it. If I compile them as module the module loads without
22 error but I don't get a framebuffer and the log doesn't show anything.
25 Fernando Rodriguez