From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop keeps freezing
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 14:04:27
1 > |> My Gentoo laptop keeps freezing. It will stay up for about 30 minutes
2 > |> and then stop responding altogether. I've checked the logs but there
3 > |> is nothing informative there. I'm all up to date with packages. How
4 > |> do you troubleshoot something like this?
5 > |>
6 > |> - Grant
7 > |
8 > | Start with "ls_sensors" and monitor CPU and motherboard temp.
9 > +1 to that. I had a laptop that was doing the exact same thing. I
10 > installed lm_sensors and saw that at rest my temp was generally 40C
11 > (that's with powersave enabled). When I compiled the temp would go up
12 > to 75C...I think the highest I ever got it was 77C.* A /little/ over 40
13 > is too hot...
14 >
15 > *For the Americans (like me) the easy way for C -> F is double it,
16 > subtract 10% and add 32. So the temps would be 104F, 167F and 171F.
17
18 The laptop has stopped freezing now. Not sure what was going on.
19 Thanks a lot for all the help and I'll refer back if I need to.
20
21 - Grant
22 --
23 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list