From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do I really need 194 pkgs to install git?
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 06:49:42
1 On Friday 02 Aug 2013 21:41:07 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> writes:
3 > > On 3 August 2013, at 04:03, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 > >> ...
5 > >> emerge -vp dev-vcs/git and come up with 194 pkgs that need to be
6 > >> installed.
7 > >> ...
8 > >>
9 > >> So I imagine I've done something thats causing that massive of a list
10 > >> of dependencies.
11 > >>
12 > >> I tried a few USE flags like -X and that did drop it down to
13 > >> 187... but jeez still thats a bit off the wall.
14 > >
15 > > What profile have you selected, please?
16 > >
17 > > Stroller.
18 >
19 > ../../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop
20 >
21 > And I will be using a desktop eventually but not now... and when I do
22 > it will be one of light ones like openbox or such.
23
24 It may be too late now, but in your shoes I'd have started with the default
25 profile instead of the desktop; that would have avoided pulling in large
26 numbers of packages that you didn't need until you were ready to install a
27 desktop. Although I run a KDE desktop on this box I still have the default
28 profile from when I rebuilt it last month.
29
30 If I set profile 3 (desktop), then emerge -puDvN world, I get:
31 --->8
32 Total: 66 packages (21 new, 1 in new slot, 44 reinstalls)
33
34 Most of those are from the application of a few USE flags, so maybe I can
35 now set the desktop profile.
38 Regards,
39 Peter