From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo is the best linux distro
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:05:38
1 Chris Stankevitz wrote:
2 > Gentoo is the best distribution I have used (I haven't used too many:
3 > ubuntu, fedora, gentoo). I love the USE flags. I love watching (and
4 > questioning) what is going to be installed. I love emerge.
5 > Supposedly gentoo lacks being able to have a system "just work"
6 > without thinking about anything. But in my experience on linux, this
7 > simply isn't the case anywhere. With ubuntu, for example, I had
8 > trouble with sound and ethernet cards that I could never figure out...
9 > and the kind of answers I get on their forums drive me insane ("my
10 > uncle once said that his cousin typed this magical command and it
11 > worked fine for a little while so maybe try that").
12 >
13 > And what's the deal with these "major release versions" of the other
14 > distros? Why do that?
15 >
16 > Thank you to all the people who contribute to it... and to those who
17 > are giving great advice/solutions on this list!
18 >
19 > Chris
24 You should turn off the quiet build "feature" and watch all the "stuff"
25 scroll by. Maybe just do that when you got some spare time. Brownie
26 points if you can read and understand it all too. lol
27
28 My brother has recently converted to Linux, with a LOT of my help. I
29 put Kubuntu on his rig. When I need help, I google then I ask here. So
30 far, the folks here seem to know more about *ubuntu than the people that
31 actually have been using it for a while. Sort of funny in a way. Than
32 again, so sad. :/
33
34 Dale
35
39 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!