From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and initramfs
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:54:36
1 On 08/21/2013 04:10 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:40:32 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> update LVM2
5 >>>> kernel remains the same
6 >>>> reboot
7 >>>> initramfs finds all PVS and activates VG
8 >>>> main system init
9 >>>> /etc/init.d/lvm2 start
10 >>>> error can't read from USB PVS
11 >>>> login to system with missing PVS
12 >>>> /etc/init.d/lvm2 restart
13 >>>> all PVS listed
14 >>>> reboot several times to verify it wasn't just a stuck service,
15 >>>> exactly the same
16 >>>> now ok but restarting a boot service manually required (!)
17 >>> I updated the initramfs and rebooted and all problems went away
18 > This sounds like a bug in LVM. If it was down to a version clash, why did
19 > a restart find the PVs?
20 well you can probably understand my confusion replugging usb devices and
21 trying to pvscan // vgchange -ay --partial etc
22 the errors i was getting are below. i genuinely thought with the
23 missing device it was a hardware failure of the usb disk, and a restart
24 of lvm was a last gasp chance; when it worked i realised the initram
25 might need updating.
26
27 Aug 17 17:56:30 [kernel] Buffer I/O error on device dm-26, logical block
28 5242864
29 - Last output repeated twice -
30 Aug 17 17:56:30 [kernel] Buffer I/O error on device dm-26, logical block
31 5242878
32 - Last output repeated twice -
33 Aug 17 17:56:30 [kernel] Buffer I/O error on device dm-26, logical block 0
34 - Last output repeated twice -
35 Aug 17 17:56:30 [kernel] Buffer I/O error on device dm-26, logical block 1
36 Aug 17 17:56:30 [kernel] Buffer I/O error on device dm-26, logical block
37 5242879
38 - Last output repeated 2 times -
42 >> And this is *precisely* what scares me about this.
43 >>
44 >> This simply should not be, period. Support for separate /usr without
45 >> initramfs simply SHOULD NOT be dropped unless/until things like this
46 >> (updating lvm) can *never* cause a system to fail to boot like this.
47 > This is irrelevant to separate /usr. an initramfs is required if / is on
48 > a VM, whether or not /usr is on the same LV.
53 Perhaps though it highlights a need for a utility to identify if items
54 on an initramfs have been updated ?
55 in this case the problem was definitely between the keyboard and the
56 chair, but it is easily overlooked (yeah just trying to make myself feel
57 better)
60 either way i'm already using initramfs anyway -- i pesonally roll out
61 lvm on root on everything i can because of it's flexibility: so the
62 whole argument of whether or not split /usr is not my argument. i'm
63 just bringing things to light to make the overall process easier for
64 everyone by highlighting potential issues folks may have.