From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 02:43:02
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Funny, I sync every few days or so and always do a emerge -uvD world. I
5 >> have less problems with that than just doing a -u world.
6 >>
7 >> Maybe it is when you do things consistantly that keeps things going
8 >> well
11 > and are you doing revdep-rebuilt afterwards?
14 I have ran it a few times but it never wants to rebuild anything but
15 gcc, which has been a bug for over a year I think. I did unmask java
16 once and run revdep-rebuild and it wanted to rebuild OOo. That is all I
17 can remember having trouble with.
18 > Last time gwenviev and kipi stuff broke, krita broke and some other stuff.
19 > Krita did not emerge because of some changed symbols, so I had to reemerge
20 > koffice-libs - something revdep-rebuild did not catch. It catches changed
21 > versions, but if a lib is recompiled because of an -r update and there are
22 > symbol problems, revdep will not see them...
23 > I had to rebuild kdepim and a lot of other stuff, just because of that -D
24 > update. It sucks to have to revdep-rebuild a douzend packages. It suckes even
25 > more when half of them fail because of some symbols and you have to reemerge
26 > three or four additional libs, so you can't just let it run unattended...
27 >
28 > In my years of gentoo, -D always caused problems and was almost never worth
29 > the trouble.
32 I use KDE and have a lot of packages installed and I seem to be having
33 better luck myself. I did used to just run -u world but that was when I
34 ran into trouble. I guess we have something different on our system.
35
36 Dale
37
41 www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967
42
43 Copy n paste then remove the -remove-me- part.