From: "Florian v. Savigny" <lorian@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kernel update messed up console encoding
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:29:24
1 Dear listmates,
2
3 (I did try to use a more specific mailing list, and tried
4 gentoo-admin, but it seems there's nobody around.)
5
6 I recently updated my kernel from 2.6.17 to 2.6.27, and it seems that
7 the new kernel causes the encoding of the console to behave weird:
8
9 I used to use the default Unix encoding, i.e. iso-8859-1, because this
10 was fine for German (now I want to stick to it because I have so much
11 legacy material in that encoding). Now, when I type a string with
12 Non-ASCII characters on the commandline, it looks normal, but when I
13 redirect this to a file, the file command identifies the contents of
14 that file (correctly, it seems to me) as UTF-8. When I boot the old
15 kernel (which I kept), the same procedure results in a file identified
16 as iso-8859-1 (and with accordingly fewer bytes). Here are the
17 contents (the same sentence):
18
19 Kernel 2.6.17:
20
21 "Ich kann es außerdem nicht ändern"
22
23 Kernel 2.6.27:
24
25 "Ich kann es außerdem nicht ändern"
26
27 I grepped the .config files for any options that might have a bearing
28 on this. The only difference I found was in the first of these four
29 lines:
30
31 linux-2.6.17:
32
33 # CONFIG_NLS_ASCII is not set
34 CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_1=y
35 CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_15=y
36 CONFIG_NLS_UTF8=y
37
38 linux-2.6.27
39
40 CONFIG_NLS_ASCII=y
41 CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_1=y
42 CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_15=y
43 CONFIG_NLS_UTF8=y
44
45 So I set $CONFIG_NLS_ASCII differently for the new kernel. But as far
46 as I understand, these refer to the handling of file names (it's in
47 the section "file systems"), and only specify what is supported, so I
48 don't see how this could have an effect on console encoding.
49
50 The only thing I am dead sure about is that the kernel itself must be
51 the culprit, because when I boot the old kernel, this behaviour goes
52 away. There is absolutely no change in the system otherwise. (The
53 $UNICODE variable in /etc/rc.conf is set to "no".)
54
55 Can anyone give me a hint where to look what I have messed up? Emacs,
56 which I sometimes like to use on the console, is particularly
57 uncomfortable with this, and I seem to write confusing e-mails.
58
59 Many thanks in advance for any hint,
60
61 Florian