From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] New PC, new boot concepts
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:22:26
1 Old dogs and new tricks springs to mind. I am building a new PC and what with
2 UEFI, APUs and SSDs, it feels like that the world has moved a long way since
3 the last time I had to install gentoo.
4
5 I'll be taking my time to google, read and make appropriate selections, so
6 please bear with me while I start relevant threads as necessary to complement
7 my sparse knowledge in these topics. Starting from the top, with this thread
8 I am trying to find out what is considered good practice as far as UEFI/MBR
9 and boot management goes.
10
11 The MoBo is capable of booting in CMS mode, but I am not sure if there are any
12 benefits in creating a 2MB partition for a conventional MBR bootloader, or I
13 should forego MBR altogether and go directly with a GPT FAT32 EFI System
14 Partition (ESP).
15
16 If the latter is the way to go and I forget all things I ever learned about
17 MBR, does the 550MB FAT32 ESP partition have to be at the beginning of the
18 drive?
19
20 Is it beneficial to install a Linux boot loader/manager like GRUB2, or rEFInd,
21 etc., or should I just use the kernel EFI Boot Stub to boot gentoo with? The
22 PC will single boot in Gentoo, although I may drop in a sysrescuecd image for
23 recovery purposes and would be nice to be able to boot this straight off the
24 disk, without having to burn it on a CDROM. Is it simply a matter of adding
25 the LiveCD iso in the ESP with a .efi suffix, or will I need to use efibootmgr
26 to inform the UEFI about *any* kernel images in the ESP other than the default
27 EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi?
28
29 Finally, what's your opinion on 'secure boot'? I'm mostly thinking of its
30 benefit as a pre-boot malware protection utility, but I don't want to
31 introduce too much complexity which may make recovery of my data difficult in
32 the future. I've heard some horror stories resulting from NVRAM corruption,
33 or flashing with new UEFI firmware rendering the PC unbootable, etc. but don't
34 know if this is due to user error. If you have experience using secure boot
35 what is your preferred method?
36
37 Any other pointers and gotchas I should be careful with?
40 Regards,
41 Mick