From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Slightly OT but interesting nonetheless...
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 18:34:06
1 On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >>
5 >> Because, in this case, the hardware, which is unreplaceable, went tits
6 >> up. Meaning it no longer works. It can't be replaced, and they're SOL
7 >> until they get the software ported forward. Their remaining hardware
8 >> of the same vintage had already died on them, and they didn't have any
9 >> migration path or hedge set up.
10 >>
11 >> Other reasons--and this is why I *loathe* unnuanced "if it works,
12 >> don't touch it" mentalities--include security updates and migration
13 >> difficulty in the event of *necessity* of upgrades.
16 > I sympathize with the hardware dieing, but one could argue (IMHO
17 > anyway) that that is as much a management problem on their part, or
18 > those supporting them, as it is an issue with the kernel. If someone
19 > is running a system which is critical and isn't planing for how to get
20 > new copies of the system or move forward to new hardware over time,
21 > then they are painted into a corner.
22
23 I fully concur.
24
25 IME, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a large underlying driver
26 for how people paint themselves into those corners. Management's (and
27 a terribly high number of sysadmins') definition of 'broke' doesn't
28 include 'can I recover if it gets hit by lightning tomorrow?'
31 > I can pretty much promise you that one area likely to get LOTS of
32 > attention in this kernel series IS security updates, at least if they
33 > are kernel based security issues. That a major reason, if not the #1
34 > reason, that this series of kernels exists.
35
36 And I think that's excellent; I wasn't even aware of them until today.
39 :wq