From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [off-topic] RPM binary on Gentoo
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 10:21:36
1 Neil Bothwick writes:
2 > On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 06:41:53 +0100, Mick wrote:
3 > > How can I use this on a gentoo machine (I understand that it won't be
4 > > maintained by portage).
5 >
6 > Use rpm2targz to turn it into a tarball, then unpack it into your
7 > root filesystem (after first checking the contents).
8
9 Or into the /usr/local hierarchy to keep the stuff separated - who knows
10 what this would overwrite. I would even consider using xstow for this:
11
12 emerge xstow
13 rpm2targz packageXXX.el5.i386.rpm
14 mkdir -p /usr/local/stow/packageXXX
15 tar -C /usr/local/stow/packageXXX -xf packageXXX.tgz
16 cd /usr/local/stow
17 xstow packageXXX
18
19 xtow creates symlinks, so /usr/local/stow/packageXXX/bin/foo will also be
20 found in /usr/local/bin/foo, and so on. To uninstall, just call xstow -D
21 packageXXX from /usr/lcoal/stow, and remove the packageXXX diretory.
22
23 Wonko