From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is it toast?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 16:27:23
1 On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 05:29:04 +0100, Martin S wrote:
2
3 > > I would bet a write-protect switch got flipped. Otherwise, yes, i
4 > > think you have to replace it. I can't imagine how the other guy could
5 > > have damaged it from your description of the events though.
6
7 > Neither can I actually.
8 > But I've tried it with Windows as well now - same sh**. Can't format it
9 > either.
10
11 If you mount it with the sync option, later kernels will destroy it
12 fairly quickly (there was a thread on this a few months back). It is
13 possible that the FAT was about to die when you lent the stick out and
14 the failure when Windows was let loose at it is purely a coincidence.
15
16 I had a stick fail like this and even 'cfdisk -z', which ignores any
17 existing partition table, couldn't handle it.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Some people are born mediocre, some people achieve mediocrity, and some
24 people have mediocrity thrust upon them. - Joseph Heller, "Catch-22"