From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem with pam
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:27:55
1 On Saturday 29 Oct 2011 18:47:58 co wrote:
2 > After I run e2fsck -c on /var partition.I have re-emerged pam. So I think
3 > there is something wrong with my hard disc.
4
5 This looks like a fs corruption. It may be a disk problem, or a memory
6 problem.
7
8 To check for the former you better install smartmontools and run the necessary
9 tests (look at the man page and google for details).
10
11 To check the latter you can run memtest86+ from a LiveCD overnight, or for a
12 few hours.
15 > And there is still something
16 > Error and Warning on boot time,and after startx mouse can't move. So how to
17 > fix the hard disc now?
18
19 You cannot fix a hard disk. If it is broken you better replace it before it
20 breaks completely.
21
22 You can fix a file system (if you're lucky) or the installation on it. You've
23 already run the e2fsck command, so there's not much more you can do to fix the
24 fs. All that is left is to reinstall the OS:
25
26 emerge -eDNva world
27
28 Of course you would not need to do this, if you had a back up?
31 > Forgive my poor English....Thank you again....
32
33 There's nothing wrong with your English ... the problem seems to be with your
34 netiquette! Please do not top post, trim and thread your responses and add
35 error messages when things fail to work.
38 Regards,
39 Mick