From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel SRT + SSD + SATA
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:03:07
1 On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 01:17:05 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 25 June 2013, at 20:10, Mick wrote:
3 > > ...
4 > > I am considering my options for a new rig destined to last a few years
5 > > and one of the Dell machines on offer has this Intel SRT fake-raid
6 > > feature, which after some cursory googling, I am not entirely sure will
7 > > work with Linux.
8 >
9 > Is it possible you could be thinking of a "hybrid" drive?
10 >
11 > These combine a conventional spinning-platter hard-drive with a smaller
12 > SSD, and the windows drivers cache most frequently used files from the
13 > hard-drive on the SSD.
14
15 No, as I understand it Intel's SRT is not a hybrid drive - but functions
16 similarly when using two seperate drives: 1 SSD for caching and any combo of
17 conventional spinning drives.
20 > I *think* that these hybrid drives connect to the PC with a single SATA
21 > cable, and I believe that they appear to Linux as two separate drives -
22 > /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. You should be able to check this with the google.
23 >
24 > Assuming my understanding is correct, you should be able to use these
25 > drives with Linux's SSD caching features - dm-cache or Bcache.
26 >
27 > http://www.h-online.com/open/features/What-s-new-in-Linux-3-9-1845705.html
28 >
29 > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM2ODM
32 Thanks Stroller! Good pointers.
33
34 Yes, it's made it in the kernel and indeed bcache is the linux equivalent to
35 SRT. Now, I'm not sure how it'll co-work with Intel's SRT, or if I should
36 just switch it off and use bcache independently of the MoBo's SRT feature.
37
38 In which case, I might as well buy a machine that does not have all this
39 unnecessary for me technology. Hmmm ... some more thinking required.
42 Regards,
43 Mick