From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cloning a directory hierarchy, but not the content
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:19:22
1 On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:45:30 +0100 Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Ah, now I get it. There's a -c missing after the sh command.
5
6 Right, thans for spotting it.
9 > > I should have added that, to do it safely, the target should reside
10 > > higher than the source in the hierarchy, or it should be on a different
11 > > filesystem and in that case -xdev should be specified to find
12 > > (otherwise an recursive loop would result).
13 >
14 > Right, but not important in my case. I want to mount my backup drive to
15 > /mnt, cd /mnt, and duplicate all stuff soemwhere else, without taking up
16 > much space. Then I can remove the backup drive and I only have to mount
17 > it again when I need a file's content, but not for finding out which
18 > files there are and how much space they take. Well, the space already is
19 > in the file created by du -m, but I'd like to directly navigate around.
20
21 Oh, I see now: you want the files to *look like* the real ones (eg when
22 doing ls -l etc.), but be sparse so they don't take up space?
23
24 > Sparse files would be nice because then I do not only have the same
25 > logical structure, the files also appear to have the same size as the
26 > originals, instead of having a size of 0. I could navigate and explore
27 > the directory structure with mc, and with du --apparent-size I could find
28 > out how much space a subdirectory takes. Again, my du -m file already has
29 > this information, but while navigating in the directory tree, being able
30 > to use du would be nice.
31
32 Ok, one way to create a sparse file of, say, 1 megabyte is using dd:
33
34 # dd if=/dev/null of=sparsefile bs=1 seek=1M
35 0+0 records in
36 0+0 records out
37 0 bytes (0 B) copied, 2.5419e-05 s, 0.0 kB/s
38 # ls -l sparsefile
39 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1048576 Jan 29 11:57 sparsefile
40 # du -B1 sparsefile
41 0 sparsefile
42
43 Another way, already suggested, is by using truncate, eg
44
45 # truncate -s 1M sparsefile