From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Well, I went about updating my system again. (day 6)
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 14:13:12
1 Kevin Monceaux <Kevin@××××××××××.net> writes:
2
3 > On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 06:42:21PM -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
4 >
5 >> -> Updating weekly, as I used to do is a Good Idea, Agreed.
6 >
7 > Sounds like a good idea. I update anywhere from daily to a few times a
8 > week. Every once in a while I loose track of the time and go a week or so
9 > between updates. A "long time" between updates for me would be a couple of
10 > weeks.
11
12 Updating once every three months is a short time between updates.
13 Updating Gentoo is always extremely painful, time consuming and prone to
14 break something.
15
16 Just look at how many posts about update problems there are on this
17 list, and there are probably many more that never are being posted
18 about.
19
20 Spending 80 or 90% of your time at the computer with trying to update
21 the system wasn't necessary 20 years ago and shouldn't be nowadays. If
22 updating took about 5 minutes and could be expected to go without
23 problems, I might be able to do it monthly.