From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:19:59
1 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 18:23 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Iain Buchanan wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 23:25 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> On Monday 18 January 2010 22:47:05 Dale wrote:
10 >>>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>>> In that case, ctrl alt F1 does nothing. You also need to understand
13 >>>>> that most people don't even know how to use SysRq keys. I didn't and
14 >>>>> had to do a hard shutdown. I had to actually pull the plug to do any
15 >>>>> good. Luckily I knew how to get it to boot into single user mode so I
16 >>>>> could disable hal otherwise I would be right back on the same screen
17 >>>>> again with no mouse or keyboard. It would be really bad if even that
18 >>>>> didn't work with devicekit. I'm not sure how it couldn't but we never
19 >>>>> know do we?
20 >>>>>
21 >>>>>
22 >>>> Dale's experiences highlight a very important and very fundamental rule of
23 >>>> desktop system design:
24 >>>>
25 >>>> As a developer you must completely and totally guarantee to the full limit of
26 >>>> what is feasible, that the user will always have a usable keyboard, mouse and
27 >>>> display after the desktop has launched. You can fallback to VGA resolution and
28 >>>> the most basic keyboard layout possible if you need to, but you must give the
29 >>>> user something and never leave them stranded. Anything else is just an epic
30 >>>> fail.
31 >>>>
32 >>>>
33 >>> My 2c worth is this: In any other distribution, the xorg/hal update
34 >>> would have been configured so that Dale's (sorry to keep using you as an
35 >>> example :) keyboard / mouse was working. But this is Gentoo. You ARE
36 >>> the distributor AND the end user. Conflicts in libraries / packages are
37 >>> up to you to resolve.
38 >>>
39 >>> About 3-4 people use Gentoo at work, and at least 2 were hit by the
40 >>> keyboard/mouse not working bug in xorg when it moved to HAL. With a bit
41 >>> of fuddling, remerging, and so on, we got it working in both cases.
42 >>>
43 >>> So yes, the developer must give a fallback method of using the
44 >>> keyboard / mouse, but not against the incorrectly packaged / configured
45 >>> system. In Gentoo you often end up with an incorrect system, hence
46 >>> revdep-rebuild and so on.
47 >>>
48 >>>
49 >>>
50 >> I didn't distribute hal,
53 > well, in a sense you've distributed it to yourself, as opposed to using
54 > a binary distribution where all these packages are rebuilt by someone
55 > else and distributed to you.
58 >> heck, I didn't even want it really. It's
59 >> required by KDE is the only reason I have it at all. I just had to
60 >> disable it for xorg is all to get a working X.
61 >>
62 >> Surely this wasn't my fault?
65 > no, but my point was a binary OS would re-compile everything multiple
66 > times on some super-server of theirs before you download and try it.
67 > Hence in that case you're the user, not the distributor. In Gentoo's
68 > case you're the user AND the distributor, and 99.9% of the time you
69 > don't need to recompile the universe to end up with a working system.
70 > I'm sure that there is some magic package that just needs to be
71 > re-merged that would fix the issue for you, but I'm sure you've spent
72 > enough time on it, so I'm not suggesting you try :)
76 To me, if I distribute something, I make it available to others. The
77 Gentoo mirrors, they distribute software. KDE distributes software as
78 does other software makers. I just download it and use it. This is one
79 reason I don't worry about a license that is restricted since whatever I
80 do here, stays here. I don't make the software, compiled or otherwise,
81 available to others.
82
83 I'm just a lowly user and try to help when I can. ^-^
84
85 Dale
86