From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: DLNA saga
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 13:56:35
1 Hello Folks,
4 In a previous thread I was curious about DLNA and anyone's experiences
5 with it. DLNA is definitely a new MicroSoft Infection!
8 As it turns out, a very bright (savant) EE friend of mine shared his recent
9 experience with DLNA:
10
11 QUOTE:
12 I would suspect that anything designed to just "work over the web" would
13 be in bed with Microsoft - and have all sort of security holes in it. A
14 better option might be something that just works over 232. I have two
15 digital crossovers which work over a wire with a simple (very simple)
16 GUI. No connection to the internet required. On the other hand, the DJ
17 console I just bought *requires* an internet connection to set up the
18 first time. Not only that, but all security software turned OFF. So I
19 turned off Windows Update to plug that little hole. Wrong answer, McFly!
20 It blew up on me. Not
21 having Windows Update turned on szhexed the on-board firmware when it
22 tried
23 to download it. And the registry was corrupt, which I had to fix
24 manually. I *finally* got a driver and firmware package from them that
25 can be installed locally, offline. But what the *didn't* tell me is that
26 the firmware could
27 not be installed on a Windows 7 machine. Blew up again. Re-initialized
28 on my XP machine, where it works now. But I'm still trying to get the
29 Win 7 drivers sorted out. There are still registry errors. Now compare
30 this to my new measurement software I just bought - it works on ANYTHING
31 (even Wine) and comes with a USB hardware key. Can't run it on more than
32 one machine without the key. Isn't this about 10000 times easier??????
33
34 end rant.
35 END/QUOTE
38 So avoid DLNA unless you field test before purchase....
39
40 http://www.dlna.org/
41
42 James