From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] r8169 unable to apply firmware patch
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 16:11:49
1 On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> I remembered that i also had started having a problem with my intel
3 >> wireless card, and it looks like both the intel and realtek firmwares
4 >> are now in linux-firmware so try emerging that.
5 >
6 > That fixed it.  Thank you very much.  I'm a little puzzled because I
7 > don't get the "unable to apply firmware patch" messages on my desktop
8 > which also uses the r8169 driver and doesn't have linux-firmware
9 > installed.
10
11 AFAIR the r8169 driver supports multiple chipsets, and they don't all
12 need the firmware file. So perhaps your two systems are not using
13 exactly the same chipset in the ethernet card...
14
15 On my desktop, I would get that warning, but it would work perfectly
16 fine anyway even without it being present.
17
18 According to Google results, the general opinion is that r8169 sucks
19 and seems like almost everybody has problems with it. :)