From: Julien Roy <julien@××××.ca>
To: Klaus Dittrich <kladit@××××××××.de>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] need help with amdgpu driver
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 14:31:02
1 Klaus Dittrich <kladit@××××××××.de> writes:
2 > as I do not use a initrd or initramfs I am, as far as I know, forced
3 > to compile the driver amdgpu into the kernel, not as modules to be
4 > loaded.
5
6 No, you can use modules even without an initrd.
7
8 > I looked at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Amdgpu#Unknown_firmware_blobs
9 > but I still do not know what name is relevant to the built-in-gpu
10 > of a AMD-7900X processor.(!?)
11 >
12 > Does this gpu really needs all these blobs of the list there?
13 >
14 No, these blobs are given as examples. They vary per GPU models and in
15 fact there are several hundred different blobs available:
16
17 ls -l /lib/firmware/amdgpu | wc -l
18 479
19
20 So you have to figure out which ones you need. The easiest method is to
21 let the kernel load them itself by having the driver built as a module,
22 otherwise it may take several iterations of modifying the
23 CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE value until you get it to work.
26 Regards,
27 Julien