From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:25:13
1 On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 12:16 +0200, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > > Installing a new kernel does not magically make the old one break. If
4 > > that kernel worked yesterday, it will work today.
5 >
6 > Actually, that is not guaranteed.
7 > I remember a situation in the past where boot-critical software
8 > required a certain minimal kernel-version with specific config-settings.
9 > Without those I could not boot.
10
11 I don't see how that is an issue with correctly written ebuilds.
12
13 If you update the kernel, you are increasing the version number and your
14 old one will still work.
15
16 If you update the software, the ebuild should detect an unsuitable kernel
17 and either warn you or abort.
18
19 Either way, it is irrelevant whether you are using an initramfs or not.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 "Be strict when sending and tolerant when receiving."
26 RFC 1958 - Architectural Principles of the Internet - section 3.9